Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Speer Hammock Construction Review




I recently made a speer hammock. However, the hammock was for someone else so this review will not comment on the use of the hammock, but on the construction.

This was my first DIY (Do It Yourself) project, which included sewing. I felt this was a great first project because the hammock has minimal sewing. The tarp on the other hand has a bit more sewing, but is still minimal.

The Hammock Camping book does a great job teaching how to make this hammock, and tarp combination. This is a relatively simple project by most standards and the majority of people should not have any difficulty completing this project.

If you have some sewing experience this is still a great project to do.

The most difficult part of this project was sewing the velcro onto the bug net. The bug net tends to stretch and mess up your seams. Someone recommended putting tape on the bug net side while sewing so it cannot stretch. I have not tried this, but several others claim it does work well. I will do this on my next project with netting.

I highly recommend this project for people wanting to learn how to make your own gear, or in need of a good hammock setup.

This is a great way to break into hammock camping and backpacking.

Good Luck, and have fun!!!

No comments: