Sunday, March 29, 2009

Claytor Jungle Hammock Review


I've been using a Claytor Jungle Hammock (www.mosquitohammock.com) for a while now so I figured it was time to write a review.

Suspension:
My first impression was that the suspension system for this hammock is absolutely terrible. After my first night of getting soaked as a result of the suspension I replaced the straps. Now I love this hammock. I made my own suspension system with some poly straps.

Comfort:
This hammock is one of the most comfortable on the market. The hammock materials are soft too. Let me say it again, comfort, this thing is like sleeping on a cloud. I absolutely love sleeping in this hammock.

I've slept in this hammock for weeks at a time, and have been totally comfy every night.

Tarp:
I've had this hammock in some pretty nasty weather too. The tarp is a bit large and can flap as much as any large tarp if you get a good wind. I've had it in 40-50mph wind and it didn't blow away. However, it seemed like it was going to sometimes. A smaller cat-cut tarp would not flap as much. A cat-cut, or square tarp with similar dimensions would probably not flap as much either.

The tarp is lighter weight than square tarps of similar dimensions. This is an advantage for people who want to lighten their load. However, it does not have the protection of a square tarp of similar dimensions.

The camo is great if you don't want to be seen. However, this can be problematic if you forgot where your camp is while you are off wandering around.

Bug Net:
The bug net is pretty decent. It is large and can give you more room in the hammock by placing a stick in the loops on the net; this causes the net to spread wide. The net is easy to see through, and durable. It is quite large. Be careful to setup the net properly or it can droop quite a bit.

Pad vs. Quilt:
Using a pad is almost as comfy as using a pad in this hammock. However, I now prefer a quilt because of condensation caused as a result of a non-breathable pad. The KAQ with the Claytor mod is a great quilt.

I highly recommend this hammock over most of it's competitors.

No comments: